With the advent of change in Indian Economy in early nineties, it was not just the economy that was opened up for other countries... from the looks of it, the doors were opened for cultural exchange as well!
With this cultural exchange came the idea of celebrating days... mothers day, fathers day, sisters day, grandma day and today was friendship day!
American's must be wondering, how did we show our appreciation to all these people before they updated our cultural file with their new version. Well we didn't need a day to show our love to our family, cos that was designed in our culture in a way where these people are special to us everyday and not just one day.
I don't blame them for thinking of having a special day for each person, that's the way their society is. Each one for themselves... the concept of family living together seems to be far and few in between and simply not enough for them to drive the message of giving respect to their loved ones.
If you notice you were not aware of any of these days, nor did you care about them... it's all the advertisement to increase the sales of cards and gifts that enlightened you! Oh BTW these are the same American companies (Archies and Hallmark to name a few) that were allowed to do business in India when we opened our economy... and not knowing how to sell in a market like ours.. they decided to help update our cultural file by creating a demand of something that was never wanted.
We are such suckers to have eaten the bait!
I would like to take this opportunity and say a rare thank you to god for giving me a heritage that I am proud of and can say is the best I could have ever asked for.
And a big Thank you to Ma and Pa for making me who I am.
Let's see if we can update their cultural file with Karva Chauth, Ganesh Chaturthi, Pongal and Vijay Dasmi (to start with) before they start the doggy day, cat fight day, bitch slap thy neighbour day... ... ...
Cheers!
And we are all patriots!
-
That feeling that it's incomplete... that emptiness... that desire to do
something... to make that difference... I know, it's burning deep inside
you and y...
15 years ago
5 comments:
Awesome....u spoke the heart of plenty
Sarcy again!! Yes, its true..but I dont mind copying other cultures if it is for fun...
so true! we create a hype about all these allegedly "special" days...
the one i hate most - VALENTINE'S DAY! leaves a perennial feeling of depression!!
nice post, beeks!
nice post Brat.
Post a Comment